As I’ve hinted to in the past, and very much the truth for those who know me in real life…I really do enjoy the concept of teaching, classroom management, growth, etc…all of it I thoroughly enjoy.
Except…I can’t stand the paperwork that comes with being under any for of department, in this case the department of education. Obtaining a degree in Political Science taught me to avoid ‘red tape’ at all costs. Unfortunately, if you desire to be responsible for children* then you must be part of the department and follow all of their rules.
Case in point, where I’m currently sitting. I would like to go forward and take a certification test for Middle School Science. In my current situation, due to the fact that I haven’t taught since leaving college, this is my recent requirements:
1. Go back to college for a 2-3 hour course to reinstate my certification in high school social sciences
1. Have a school district sign me to a ‘part time’ contract and in turn my certification would be activated
1. Complete provisional requirements to enter the classroom as a science teacher in the middle school, having to have that granted by the state
2. If provisional application is granted, I would then need to apply for a middle school science certification test by the state, find the test date, and find the location (not even noting the money required for this). Not to mention this is an entirely different certification platform test compared to the one that one was required to pass to obtain initial certification in 2009
3. Take test, and pass with the required score set by the department of education
4. If the score is a passing score additional certification will be granted
Now, try explaining all of that to a school district…
My point exactly.
*Because we all know no types of certification is required to lead adults, you just need to be able to lie.